Charlotte public librarians Margaret Woodruff and Cheryl Sloan and Charlotte Elementary School librarian Heidi Huestis created a summer project to encourage middle schoolers to read the classics. Funding was provided by community member Alex Kroll while the librarians developed a week of activities, books, art, and writing to enrich the selected readings.
The program has now expanded as a grant opportunity through the Vermont Public Library Foundation. Vermont libraries may create their own program or use the materials previously prepared by Charlotte Library.
- Collaboration between a public library and a school is strongly encouraged
- A program for middle schoolers focused on pairing a classic with a modern title
- Application due by: May 15, 2015
- Report due no later than one year after receipt of grant funds
- Report Form
- Grant Application
- Charlotte Library Programs
- Promotional Flyer
- Program Planning Guides:
- Web Chat with Cheryl Sloan & Heidi Huestis
Discussion sets of The Lightning Thief, The Wednesday Wars, and Jip may be requested from the Vermont State Library through Interlibrary Loan. Contact Linda Willis-Pendo with questions about availability.