Here are some general suggestions when planning craft activities for kids:
- Plan activities around an experience rather than a product. Then the activity is about cutting, coloring or weaving rather than about being perfect.
- It’s ok to plan activities around your materials. What do you have in the cupboard? Need to use up a bunch of rogue paper towel rolls? Make a marble roller coaster!
- Try a group project. Make something big to hang in the library or create something together.
- Put finished pieces on display so that kids can visit them and show off!
- Recruit teen helpers for big vacation and summer programs
- Play music. Classical or kids music can help lift the spirit of a room.
- Make a sample, but don’t make it too perfect. Encourage the kids to experiment.
- Try to avoid putting all your craft supplies out at once. Everything will disappear!