ARSL Conference Scholarship Program
Vermont Public Library employees:
Apply NOW: Scholarships to Attend the Association for Rural & Small Libraries Conference (Tacoma, Washington / September 3-6, 2014).
The Vermont Department of Libraries is pleased to offer scholarships for up to five Vermont public library workers to attend the Association for Rural and Small Libraries (ARSL) Conference in Tacoma, Washington September 3-6, 2014. This conference provides an excellent opportunity to learn and share practical knowledge, skills, and connections with other rural library workers from across the country. Last year we awarded two scholarships and the Vermont attendees gave us very positive feedback, and highly recommend this confernce to their colleagues.
“The most valuable part of the experience for me was meeting librarians from all over the country who are in situations similar to mine, seeing what shared challenges we face, and learning how others are approaching and surmounting them. There were so many different library models represented - all of them small and rural, but each with different models of funding, service delivery, resource management, and more. That aspect of learning through networking was invaluable ….”
“What defined this conference was the genuine friendliness and camaraderie of all participants and presenters. “
What are the eligibility criteria? Recipients must:
- Work in a Vermont public library which met Minimum Standards for Vermont Public Libraries last year.
- Have an MLS, or Vermont Public Librarian Certification, or be actively working toward certification.
- Not have attended an ARSL conference in the past 5 years.
- Agree to write a one-page article for the November VTLIB newsletter
- Agree to report on the conference within 12 months at a VTLIB workshop or webinar (date to be determined)
- Receive prior approval from the Library Director (when applicable) and the Chair of the Library Board of Trustees (or designee) to attend the conference
- Library Directors, public service staff, and youth services staff are especially encouraged to apply.
What will the scholarship cover?
Scholarships of $1250 per attendee who plan to attend the 3 day conference from September 4-6
Scholarships of $1400 per attendee who plan to attend both the 3 day conference and a 1 day preconference workshop from September 3-6 (recommended)
Attendees will handle all registration and travel arrangements. (VTLIB can assist as needed.) Scholarship funds may be used for membership, airfare, mileage, parking, hotel, ground transportation, and conference registration. Attendees will be required to submit receipts for all costs covered by the scholarship.
All Vermont scholarship recipients will be required to pay for membership in ARSL in order to register for the conference at the member rate.
What is required for the scholarship application?
Applicants must use the official ARSL Conference Scholarship Application. Deadline for submission is May 30, 2014 (postmark date). Scanned application forms with required signatures will be accepted via email.
For information about the conference please go to: http://arsl.info/category/conferences/conference-2014/