Listservs for Vermont Libraries
Vermont has a number of listservs (automated electronic mailing lists) for individuals who are interested in a particular subject area and may wish to participate in discussions over email. Instructions to join, purpose, and intended audience are given below for each of the listservs on Vermont library matters. To add a listserv to the list or comment on the descriptions, contact Amy Howlett, email@example.com.
Five through the Vermont Department of Libraries:
- VALS - The Vermont Automated Libraries System (VALS) facilitates interlibrary loan. Vermont libraries wishing to participate in VALS should submit a request to the VALS system administrator, Sheila Kearns. This request may be made by mail or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Participating libraries are required to sign the VALS Access agreement and to abide by the Guidelines for the Use of VALS. Libraries use one of three lists: "publics" for ILL correspondence and general discussion with other public libraries; "schools" to correspond with schools; and "colleges" to correspond with colleges.
Further information about the ILL functions of the VALS system are available on the ILL page, http://libraries.vermont.gov/libraries/ill.
- LIBSTAFF - For Vermont library staff, for updates on DOL workshops, access to the DOL newsletter, and to learn about how other library staff do things.
To subscribe, send a message from the email account you will be using to email@example.com with the following in the body: subscribe LibStaff FirstName LastName
The Department of Libraries will send full instructions for using the listserv to the email you use. Contact Amy Howlett at the Vermont Department of Libraries with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- LibTrust - For Vermont public library trustees and directors.
To subscribe, send a message from the email account you will be using to email@example.com with: your name, the library with which you are affiliated, what role, if any, you have on the board (chair, secretary, treasurer, etc.) and your address and phone number (optional).
The Department of Libraries will send full instructions for using the listserv to the email you use along with instructions on how to send messages to the list and how to unsubscribe.
- TALKBKS - A listserv for the Blind & Physically Handicapped. It serves not only to disseminate new bits of information, but for many it is also the preferred method for receiving SSU's patron newsletter, allowing screen reader software to read the newsletter aloud.
To subscribe email Teresa Faust at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- VTYAC - For Vermont youth services staff and library staff who work with children.
To subscribe, send a message from the email account you will be using. Include your name and your library. Address the email to Grace Greene, email@example.com.
The Department of Libraries will send full instructions for using the listserv to the email you use along with instructions on how to send messages to the list and how to unsubscribe. For questions about the listserv, contact Grace Greene.
Two through the Vermont Library Association
- VTLIBRARIES - For all people interested in issues relating to librarianship in Vermont. Professional librarians and library staff who work in public, academic, and school library media centers are all encouraged to join. Discussion on legislation affecting libraries, management of libraries, major trends in libraries, etc.
To subscribe send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org. The text of the message should read: Subscribe VTLIBRARIES FirstName LastName
For questions about the listserv contact Daisy Benson at (802) 656-0636 or email@example.com.
- VTCSL - For the College & Special Libraries Section of the Vermont Library Association, VTCSL is a forum for announcements and discussion of topics relevant to academic and special libraries in Vermont. It is open to anyone interested.
To subscribe, send a message to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The text of the message should read: Subscribe VTCSL FirstName LastName
One through the Vermont School Library Association
- VSLA - For members of the Vermont School Library Association. Messages should be sent from the email provided when individuals join VSLA. The membership application is at https://sites.google.com/site/vermontschoollibraries