SCHOOL LIBRARY RESOURCES FOR 2013-2014
Note: School libraries must submit required materials by the deadline dates listed in red below.
The Vermont Department of Libraries is offering you the following services:
Deadline for returning signed Agreement: September 20, 2013
Your school may subscribe to Movie Licensing USA at reduced cost, providing public performance rights from a wide range of motion picture producer and distributors for your library and your school. For more information visit: http://libraries.vermont.gov/libraries/movielicensing/schoolmovielicensing
2. INTERLIBRARY LOAN SERVICE (ILL), ACCESS TO THE VERMONT AUTOMATED LIBRARIES SYSTEM (VALS), AND THE Web2 VERMONT UNION CATALOG (VUC)
Deadline for submitting: (1) library bibliographic records and (2) the VALS Agreement Form: October 31, 2013.
School libraries have access to the wide network of Vermont library holdings and may borrow materials for students and teachers via ILL by using VALS. Both of these services are based on shared school library/media center holdings in the K12cat union catalog. More information is included at the links listed below.
To participate in VALS, school libraries are required annually to complete a VALS Agreement and to provide holdings information to DOL. This holdings information is supplied through these means:
- Automated libraries that have set up direct access to their database via Web2 fulfill the holdings requirement through this access.
- Automated libraries that have NOT set up direct access to their database via Web2 or submitted the VALS z39.50 Registration form and currently use a Follett Destiny or OPALS integrated library system should complete a VALS Z39.50 Registration Form
- All other automated libraries should submit annually a file of MARC records for items added in the last year by completing the MARC Record Submission form and following the instructions there for submitting files.
- Non-automated should provide annually main entry cards or their printed equivalent for items added in the last year printing and filling out the VUC submission form and following the instructions there for submitting the records.
Further information about VALS ILL and related services see:
- School Access to VALS
- Contributing to the Vermont Union Catalog (VUC) and Using Interlibrary Loan
- Web-Based Union Catalog WEB2
- Requesting setup of direct access to your library automations system
- OCLC FirstSearch
3. VERMONT ONLINE LIBRARY (VOL)
Pricing and membership form will be available in late November, 2013.
The Vermont Online Library is a collection of online subscription licensed content of interest to students, teachers, and the general public. Check out the range of online databases from Gale, including full-text periodical articles, the Educator’s Reference Complete, Biography in Context, InfoTrac Newstand, Opposing Viewpoints, Career Transitions and special databases for students and youth, including Kids InfoBits.
4. VERMONT SCHOOL LIBRARY STATISTICAL REPORT FOR THE 2012-2013 SCHOOL YEAR
The 2012-2013 School Library Report will be available in late November.
Please note that the report is available only online. DOL will not be sending out paper copies of the report form.
If you have questions about the report, please contact Rob Geiszler, DOL State Data Coordinator, at: email@example.com / 802-786-3839.
5. INFORMATION ON DISCOUNTS VIA STATE OF VERMONT CONTRACTS WITH BOOK VENDORS
6. MIDSTATE LIBRARY SERVICE CENTER (MLSC), BERLIN
MLSC maintains a collection of fiction and non-fiction books for all ages. Schools may use this library for browsing, interlibrary loan and borrowing collections of books for long-term loan. For more information, contact Greg McCandless at: 802-828-2320.
7. YOUTH SERVICES CONSULTANT/CHILDREN’S BOOK EXHIBIT CENTER (CBEC) / YOUTH BOOK AWARDS
Library Consultant Grace Greene offers workshops of interest to school librarians, including “Materials Review Sessions” with oral reviews of new books for children ages birth through high school. She also consults with school and public libraries on children’s literature and library services to children and young adults. CBEC sponsors or co-sponsors Vermont’s three student-selected book awards and houses an extensive collection of children’s books and books on children’s literature, programming and school libraries. We welcome you to borrow in person or via Interlibrary Loan. The CBEC is located in Montpelier.
For more information: http://libraries.vermont.gov/libraries/schoollibrariansresources/childbookaward
8. SPECIAL SERVICES UNIT (SSU) / LIBRARY FOR THE BLIND & PHYSICALLY HANDICAPPED
Schools may be eligible for services from this DOL unit for students who have visual or physical disabilities which prevent their use of regular print materials, and, in certain cases, those individuals with reading disabilities. Students may also be able to receive downloadable audio service. More information is available at: http://libraries.vermont.gov/ssu / or call SSU at: (802) 828-3273; Toll Free 1-800-479-1711.
9. THE DEPARTMENT OF LIBRARIES NEWSLETTER
Keep current with library news and announcements from the Department of Libraries by subscribing to our monthly email newsletter. To read DOL newsletters: http://libraries.vermont.gov/news/janfeb2010
Feel free to contact the Department of Libraries any time at: 802-828-3261. We’re here to help!