Vermont Union Catalog
The Vermont Union Catalog (VUC) works with the Vermont Automated Library System (VALS) to provide Interlibrary Loan services to libraries around the state. Submitting your library's catalog to the VUC means your holdings can be viewed by other Vermont libraries. To participate in the program consult the following steps:
Public Libraries, Non-Automated Catalog System
1. Determine your VUC symbol.
2. Submit library holdings via email to the Technical Services Unit.
- The library's name should be part of the email's subject line.
- Fill out the Holdings Submission Form, correctly noting Adds or Deletes.
3. Submit holdings once each fiscal year.
- If your library participates in Technical Services Cataloging Service you will not need to submit holdings.
- If your library uses LibraryWorld, these instructions will show you how to run a report to create an Excel document which can be submitted to Technical Services instead of the Holdings Submission Form.
- If your ILS can generate a report similar to the Holdings Submission form, you may use that instead.
Automated Public Library Catalog Systems:
- Use the Z39.50 Registration form.
- Contact Tom Mcmurdo in Information Technology Services with any problems or questions.
- If your library uses the Z39.50 system for communicating with the Department of Libraries' catalog you will not need to submit holdings.
- Consult the school library VALS Access Agreement.
- Submit holdings once each school year. (November 1 - October 31)
Other types of libraries must contribute their holdings once a year.
For any problems, questions, or if you require assistance contact the Technical Services Unit.