The Vermont Golden Dome Book Award (formerly the Dorothy Canfield Fisher Book Award) was created to honor excellence in children's literature. Each year since 1957, Vermont students in grades four through eight have selected their favorite book from a list of nominees. It is recommended that students read at least five of the year's nominated titles before voting. Voting takes place in the spring, generally beginning in April.
2023-2024 Award Year Information and Materials
- 2023-2024 Vermont Golden Dome Handbook
- 2023-2024 Vermont Golden Dome Nominee List (with book covers)
- 2023-2024 Vermont Golden Dome Nominee List (without book covers)
- 2023-2024 Vermont Golden Dome Annotated Nominee List
- 2023-2024 Vermont Golden Dome Brochure Checklist (Created by Ellen Arapakos, Williston Central School) - Please make your own copy of these Google slides which are formatted to print double-sided
- 2023-2024 Vermont Golden Dome Committee Membership
- 2023-2024 Punch Cards (created by Jill Abair, U-32 Middle/High School, East Montpelier)
- 2023-2024 Vermont Youth Book Award Nominee Slideshow
- Order Vermont Golden Dome Book Award Labels
- Niche Academy 2023 Youth Book Awards Conference page (featuring videos for all 2023 Vermont Youth Book Awards Conference sessions. Please note: new viewers will be asked to create a free account for Niche Academy, and then will have access to the conference videos, recorded VTLIB trainings, and training from other providers)
Past Nominees and Winners
Books to be considered by the Vermont Golden Dome Book Award Committee are submitted by publishers. Four copies of each title, which will be circulated to committee members, should be sent to:
Vermont Golden Dome Book Award Committee
c/o Vermont Department of Libraries
60 Washington St., Suite 2
Barre, VT 05641
Books published in the current calendar year may be sent at any time during the year. However, sending books as soon as feasible makes it possible to give all books more careful consideration.
Publishers are invited to submit books that meet the following criteria:
- The book must have been published in the current calendar year. Reprints and compilations previously copyrighted are not eligible.
- The book must have been written by a living author who is a citizen or resident of the United States or Canada. Co-authors may be included.
- The book must be original or, if traditional in origin, the result of individual research. The retelling and reinterpretation must be the writer's own.
- All forms of writing are eligible for consideration – fiction, non-fiction, short stories, and poetry. Poetry, anthologies and short stories must be by a single author and not previously copyrighted.
- Books written by a previous recipient of Vermont Golden Dome Book Award may be considered at the discretion of the committee.
- Books should have children as their intended audience and be appropriate for children in grades four through eight.
Questions may be addressed to Committee Chair Rebecca Rupp.