The VT Middle-Grade Book Award* (formerly the Dorothy Canfield Fisher Book Award) was created to honor excellence in children's literature. Each year since 1957, Vermont students in grades four through eight have selected their favorite book from a list of 30 nominees. It is recommended that students read at least five of the year's nominated titles before voting. Voting takes place in the spring, generally beginning in April.
*Students will vote on a new name for the award in Fall 2020.
The winner of the 2019-2020 VT Middle-Grade Book Award is SMALL SPACES by Katherine Arden!
See the vote breakdown here.
See the voting results presentation here. (Jill Abair, U-32 Middle/High School)
- 2020-2021 Nominees w/ Annotations
- 2020-2021 Handbook
- 2020-2021 Bookmarks
- 2020-2021 Checklist Brochure
- From the conference: The "B" List
- Recording of the Reading Commmittee's conference presentation
- Google Drive with slides & audio narrations - Courtesy of Tricia Allen, Ilsley Public Library (Middlebury)
- Punch Card - Courtesy of Jill Abair, U-32 Middle/High School (East Montpelier)
- Order Winner Labels *old style*
VT Middle-Grade Book Award Committee
Books published in the current calendar year may be sent at any time during the year. However, sending books as soon as feasible makes it possible to give all books more careful consideration.
Publishers are invited to submit books that meet the following criteria:
- The book must have been published in the current calendar year. Reprints and compilations previously copyrighted are not eligible.
- The book must have been written by a living author who is a citizen or resident of the United States or Canada. Co-authors may be included.
- The book must be original or, if traditional in origin, the result of individual research. The retelling and reinterpretation must be the writer's own.
- All forms of writing are eligible for consideration – fiction, non-fiction, short stories, and poetry. Poetry, anthologies and short stories must be by a single author and not previously copyrighted.
- Books written by a previous recipient of VT Middle-Grade Book Award may be considered at the discretion of the committee.
- Books should have children as their intended audience and be appropriate for children in grades four through eight.
Questions may be addressed to Committee Chair Rebecca Rupp.
The 2020-21 VT Middle-Grade Book Award Committee is:
- Kate Belluche, Fletcher Free Library (Burlington)
- Katie Bosley, Pierson Library (Shelburne)
- Charlie Farrell, Grand Isle School
- Erin Neckers, Hyde Park Elementary School
- Rebecca Rupp (Swanton), Chair
- Sacha Krawczyk, Fletcher Memorial Library (Ludlow)
- Nicole Westbom, Kellogg-Hubbard Library (Montpelier)
- Laurie Williams, Newbury Elementary School