Continuing Education Program for Attendance at ALA Library Director Crash Course (formerly known as Bootcamp)
July 13, 20, & 27, 2020
Vermont Department of Libraries LIBRARY SERVICES AND TECHNOLOGY ACT (LSTA)
Continuing Education Program Guidelines
State Fiscal Year 2021 - Federal Fiscal Year 2019
Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) (from the Institute of Museum and Library Services and administered by the Vermont Department of Libraries) funds are allocated for library personnel to attend the ALA Library Director Crash Course (formerly known as Bootcamp). This funding covers attendance at all three sessions of this online workshop. The intent of this program is to make online continuing education available to as many Vermont library staff as possible to expand their understanding of, and keep current on, library trends and practices, and to provide an opportunity to broaden their skills and knowledge base.
Refer to the guidelines and directions below for completing the application form for the Continuing Education (CE) Program for attendance at ALA Library Director Crash Course.
General Information and Eligibility
- Vermont public library directors are eligible to attend ALA Library Director Crash Course.
20 Slots are available.
- 10 slots will be reserved for librarians enrolled in the Vermont Certificate of Public Librarianship program. Attendance will partially fulfill the CPL Administration requirement. Contact the Department of Libraries Continuing Education Consultant, Joy Worland, for details.
- For the other 10 slots, priority will be given to new directors (0-3 years). More experienced directors will also be considered if space is available.
- There can be flexibility across categories should one not be filled.
- Attendance is limited to one person per library.
- VTLIB will register participants and pay ALA for participation rather than disperse funding to libraries. Registration pending availability of seats.
- All attendees will be required to submit reflections on the sessions attended to VTLIB. Additionally, participants will have a chance to participate in a post-conference presentation to the VT library community organized by VTLIB (in the form of a mini-presentation, lighting round, webinar, etc.). Preference will be given to those who agree to participating in the presentation.
- The Department of Libraries’ focus with this program is to assist attendees in understanding the administration and management of public libraries with the ultimate goal of improved library services for patrons.
Application Process & Submission
- Anyone interested in participating in this opportunity must apply through the form available at https://bit.ly/30Co1E8 by 12:00pm (noon) on June 30, 2020. For a printed form, contact Joy Worland. Printed forms must be received by the deadline.
- Applicants must be a director at a Vermont public library or enrolled in the Certificate of Public Librarianship program.
By filling out this application:
- You are certifying that you have approval from your supervisor to attend.
- You intend to attend all three sessions of Library Director Crash Course. You agree to let VTLIB know immediately if you can’t participate for emergency reasons. By submitting the form, you understand that if you don’t attend, you may be asked to reimburse the registration fee to VTLIB.
- You further commit to submitting a Project Outcome - survey to VTLIB.
- Awards will be announced to applicants by email.
Contact Joy Worland, email@example.com, 802-798-2567 with questions.
To submit a comment or question about the administration of LSTA funds, please contact the Vermont Department of Libraries, State Librarian, Jason Broughton, firstname.lastname@example.org, 802-636-0031