Continuing Education Program for Attendance at ALA Virtual Conference
June 24 – 26, 2020
Vermont Department of Libraries LIBRARY SERVICES AND TECHNOLOGY ACT (LSTA)
Continuing Education Program Guidelines
State Fiscal Year 2020 - Federal Fiscal Year 2019
Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) (from the Institute of Museum and Library Services and administered by the Vermont Department of Libraries) funds are allocated for library personnel to attend the ALA Virtual Conference. This funding covers virtual conference attendance for Vermont active library personnel. The intent of this program is to make online continuing education available to as many Vermont library staff as possible to expand their understanding of, and keep current on, library trends and practices, and to provide an opportunity to broaden their skills and knowledge base.
Refer to the guidelines and directions below for completing the application form for the Continuing Education (CE) Program for Attendance in ALA Virtual.
General Information and Eligibility
- Vermont library personnel are eligible to participate in the 2020 ALA Virtual Conference.
Slots are available as follows
- 10 Public Librarians
- 5 Academic and Special Librarians
- 5 School Librarians
- Attendance is limited to one person per library.
- VTLIB will make direct payments to ALA to pay for participants rather than disperse funding to libraries.
- Space is limited. Applicants who have never received VTLIB conference support or do not receive CE support from their library are given preference. In addition, preference will be given to those who agree to participate in a post-conference presentation to the VT library community organized by VTLIB (in the form of a mini-presentation, lighting round, webinar, etc.).
- The Department of Libraries’ focus with this program is to assist attendees in understanding specific aspects of library science with the ultimate goal of improved library services for patrons. Continuing Education Units for the Department of Libraries Certificate of Public Librarianship will be awarded for conference attendance. Contact the Continuing Education Consultant, Joy Worland, at the Dept. of Libraries for details.
Application Process & Submission
- Anyone interested in participating in this opportunity must apply through the form available at https://bit.ly/3cII07y by 3 pm on June 5, 2020.
- Applicants must be an employee or regular volunteer at a Vermont library.
- By filling out this application, you are certifying that you have approval from your library management to attend.
- You intend to attend the entire conference. You agree to let VTLIB know immediately if you can’t participate for emergency reasons. By submitting the form, you understand that if you don’t attend, you may be asked to reimburse the registration fee to VTLIB..
- You further commit to submitting a Project Outcome- survey to VTLIB.
- Awards will be announced to applicants by email.
- This opportunity is for active library personnel only. If you are have been furloughed or laid off, you may apply directly for a free spot at ALA https://2020.alavirtualevent.org/
Contact Joy Worland, email@example.com, 802.798.2567 with questions.
To submit a comment or question about the administration of LSTA funds, please contact the Vermont Department of Libraries, State Librarian, Jason Broughton, firstname.lastname@example.org , 802.636.0031 .