“Rooted in Vermont Food In Your Backyard” Week @ Your Library (October 1-7, 2018)
During the week of Oct. 1 - 7, the Vermont Department of Libraries (VTLIB) and Rooted in Vermont are promoting library programming about food found in your backyard. We encourage libraries to schedule or develop one or more programs/activities for their community that focus on food that patrons can find through gardening, foraging, or hunting and fishing. Rooted in Vermont is a grassroots movement that celebrates how Vermonters enjoy and acquire local food. They’re working to change the “local food” narrative so everyone sees local food as their own – not just some trendy thing. Rooted in Vermont’s project manager Shane Rogers will actively promote the week via social media and the Rooted in Vermont grassroots email list.
How to participate:
1. Plan an activity in your library with a Rooted in Vermont theme focusing on some aspect of “food in your backyard” – gardening, foraging, and/or hunting and fishing.
2. Send your activity details - including date, time, and location - to Lara Keenan (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Shane Rogers (email@example.com).
3. Promote the activity with the customizable flier. (Please email Lara or Shane for a copy.)
For participating, you will receive the following items and assistance from Rooted in Vermont:
1. A package of FREE Rooted in Vermont bumper stickers, postcards, and brochures
2. A set of passive-activity sheets featuring a backyard scavenger hunt
3. Before the event, Rooted in Vermont will send a press release featuring your event to your local newspaper and provide you a copy to distribute as you see fit
4. Rooted in Vermont will add your event to their Facebook page, share with you the link, and actively promote the Rooted in Vermont Food in Your Backyard theme leading up to the week
Sample flyer for your library's event
Questions? Contact either Lara or Shane: Lara Keenan, Vermont Department of Libraries: 802-636-0026; firstname.lastname@example.org
Shane Rogers, Rooted in Vermont: 802-828-0404; email@example.com