This guide is intended to not only equip librarians with health information they can use to assist their patrons, but to also provide librarians with the skills necessary to answer health information questions.
- Tips for the Health Reference Interview
- Internet Resources
Patrons can be reluctant to ask personal health questions. You can encourage them by:
- Providing a personal, private space in which to have the conversation.
- Assuring patrons their conversation with you is confidential due to your ethical and professional responsibilities as a librarian.
Drawing out the patron by asking questions: What information have they already found?
Which resources have they consulted?
- Reminding your patron of the risks of relying on Google for all their answers.
For further guidance on the health reference interview please read the interview assistance provided by
the librarians at the National Library of Medicine.
Vermont Online Library - Gale Health and Welness
If your library subscribes to the Vermont Online Library you will have access to the Health and Welness database.
The database contains both consumer appropiate information and access to medical journals.
- If your library subscribes to the Vermont Online Library you will have access to the Health and Welness database.
- PubMed Health
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Lab Tests Online
This website lists many different kinds of medical tests, reasons why they may be ordered, what it is like to
have the test, and normal values for the tests.
- This website lists many different kinds of medical tests, reasons why they may be ordered, what it is like to
- Harvard School for Public Health
- Physical Activity for Everyone
- Eating Healthy Vermont
- Get Moving Vermont
- MedlinePlus: Drugs, Supplements, and Herbal Information
- National Library of Medicine Drug Information Portal
- Household Products Database
- Environmental Health and Toxicology Information
- Herbal Information
- Information about prescription drug side effects.
- Drug information for nursing mothers.
- Home Health Agencies
- Department of Mental Health
- Vermont Health Connect
- Low-cost or free health coverage for children in Vermont
- Department of Health