The Vermont State Library is open to the public by appointment. Call (802) 636-0040 to schedule an appointment.
The State Library maintains collections in several specific areas and nearly all are available through interlibrary loan to Vermont public, academic, and school libraries. Please see our State Library Collections page for specific information.
Some materials in these collections are available for in-library use only, due to age, condition, rarity, and other factors. Those include the collection of historical telephone directories, original census records, 18th and early 19th century Vermont law volumes, and select federal documents. Typically, if a researcher is looking for a specific piece of information in these collections we can scan and send it. Sometimes it is necessary to work with the original objects. if that is the case, please contact us to make an appointment.
Here are some quick links to available resources:
- Ask A Librarian - Have a question? A research request? Please use this link.
- Department of Libraries Catalog - Find an item in our collections.
- State Library Collections - More information about each collection and related resources.
- Genealogy Resources - Collection of many free and no cost resources for researchers.
- Law and Government Publications
- Assistance for State Employees - The State Library serves State Employees directly. We are your library!
Please contact the State Library if you require assistance. We look forward to working with you!