Prevention and Preparedness
- What steps can you take to protect staff and the public?
- Will you have gloves, sanitizer, wipes, etc.? How often will you clean public surfaces and with what?
- Will you post signs about health guidance, policies around closing or sickness, etc., and if so, where?
- What information/guidance will you disseminate to the public about COVID-19, from what authorities, and what method of communication will you use?
- What local authorities do you need to coordinate your planning with?
- Does your municipality/school have an emergency preparedness or continuity of operations plan? Does it provide guidance for your library?
- What are you communicating to staff and volunteers regarding coming to work when they are feeling ill/have a fever? What are your sick leave policies and do you have any flexibility around use of sick time?
- Would staff need to use personal or sick time if they became ill with COVID-19?
- What is the procedure for staff and volunteers calling in sick? What happens if several people call in sick? Would the library need to close – and, if so, how would you notify the public?
Reduction in Hours and Services at the Physical Building
- Under what circumstances would the library reduce hours and services in the library building?
- What are your library’s essential services?
- What would be the impact of high absenteeism due to illness?
- What is the minimum number of staff needed in the building to provide essential services and what would that look like?
- Are there certain services/programs that you will cancel, make virtual, or postpone? If so, how would you communicate these changes to the public?
- Will you alter your procedures around cleaning books? Toys? Other manipulatives?
- How will you handle cash and sanitation?
- Does it make sense to extend due-dates and waive late fines?
Closure of the Physical Building
- Under what circumstances would the physical library close?
- How would you communicate with staff, volunteers, trustees, and the public about the library closing?
- Would library staff still get paid if the library closed for days/weeks?
- How will you ensure that paychecks continue to be cut if the person who does payroll gets sick?
- If you are a municipal library and the Town Offices close, will the library also close?
- Does the local school closing affect whether the library closes?
- What services can the library still offer if the physical building closes? How will you publicize that?
- Who will be responsible for coming into the library to check the book drop, the facilities, etc., during an extended closure?
- How will the library’s bills continue to get paid during an extended closure?
- How will the decision be made to reopen the library building?