Vermont Digital Newspaper Project and Chronicling America
The Vermont Digital Newspaper Project is based at the University of Vermont, and is supported by the Vermont Department of Libraries and the Vermont Historical Society. The Project preserves Vermont's historical newspapers while making them freely available online.
Vermont newspapers published between 1836 and 1922 can be searched as part of the National Digital Newspaper Program organized by the Library of Congress.
This is an ongoing program, with more material added from new states at regular intervals. Be sure to check back often to continue your research. There are now OVER 13 MILLION PAGES from 47 states, Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia.
Vermont Newspapers on Newspapers.com
The Vermont Department of Libraries has partnered with the Vermont State Archives and Records Administration (VSARA) to provide access to Vermont newspapers though Newspapers.com. These Vermont titles are freely available to Vermonters as part of the agreement. There are now over 1 million pages of Vermont newspapers available. Although some of the Vermont content on Chronicling America is duplicated, there are hundreds of thousands of pages that are unique to Newspapers.com. Because Newspapers.com uses the same standards as Chronicling America for digitization and indexing, these scans and metadata are of the highest quality. This really is a great resource.
How to access Vermont titles on Newspapers.com:
To sign up for Newspapers.com access, you must create a free MyVermont.gov account.
- To do so, visit MyVermont.gov.
- Once there, create a new account:
3. After creating your account, you will need to add your personal profile and contact information by clicking through on the right of the page. This is how you are verified as being a Vermont resident.
4. Once you have those updated, you will see in the center of the page a section called "Featured Item." In that section you shuld see a link to Newspapers.com. Note that you will also have access to Vermont vital records, a very useful tool when doing research.
5. Click through to Newspapers.com to begin searching Vermont titles:
Search titles or topics. Best of luck with your research!
If you have followed these instructions and still have an issue, please contact Tom McMurdo at VTLIB.
New York State Historic Newspapers
NYS Historic newspapers offers access to over 8 million pages of newspaper content from New York State. The titles range from the 18th century to current. This is a tremendous resource for anyone doing research about New York.