As a health professional you likely have prefered resources for your needs and to share with your patients. Unfortunately, those resources are not always openly available. Compiled below are links to freely available health information. The Dana Medical Library at the University of Vermont has also collected a list of free resources for health professionals. For further assistance contact your local library or the Reference Librarians at the Vermont State Library.
Free Information Resources
- Clinical Information
- Open Access Journals
- Guidelines, Schedules, and Research
- Drugs and Supplements
- Nutrition and Fitness
- Refugee Resources and Cultural Competency
- PubMed Clinical Queries
- Merck Manual, Diagnosis, and Therapy
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM)
- Directory of Open Access Journals
- BioMed Central
- Public Library of Science (PLOS), Medicine
Vermont Online Library - Gale Health and Wellness
- If your local library subscribes to the Vermont Online Library you will have access to the Health and Wellness database. The database contains both consumer appropiate information and access to medical journals.
- National Guideline Clearinghouse
- Cochrane Collaboration
- AHRQ Evidence-Based Reports
- CDC Immunization Schedules
- Vermont Immunization Schedules
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly
- Federal Drug Administration (FDA)
- Epocrates Drug Information
- Environmental Health and Toxicology
- Drug information for nursing mothers.
- Harvard School for Public Health
- Physical Activity for Everyone
- Eating Healthy Vermont
- Get Moving Vermont
- Provides information on cultural beliefs, medical issues, and related topics pertinent to the health care of immigrants.
Culture, Language, and Health Literacy
- Website for a department within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Consumer Health Information in Many Languages
- A resource provided by the US National Library of Medicine's Medline Plus.
Refugee Health Interpreted Fact Sheets
- Informational sheets on various topics translated into multiple languages by the Vermont Department of Human Services.
- MedlinePlus: Health Information in Multiple Languages