Movie Performance License for Public Libraries

Movie ReelThe Vermont Department of Libraries (VTLIB) has purchased a motion picture public performance license with Movie Licensing USA for use in Vermont public libraries. The license permits free public performances of movies in public library buildings. This program is free to all public libraries in Vermont. 

Movie License Agreement Form

Public Libraries - For June 1, 2017- May 31, 2018

Public libraries must also submit a report form for '16-'17 in order to receive the '17-'18 license.

School Libraries (new agreement will be posted this summer)


Movie License Information
  • Use of the license requires a current signed agreement form on file at the Vermont Department of Libraries. 
  • The application form can be filled out online or printed and mailed to the Department of Libraries. The number of active/registered borrowers is the number of patrons who have used their library cards during the previous year.
  • Use the Movie Licensing USA website to confirm the movie you wish to show is covered under the agreement as not all movie studios participate in the program. For a movie not listed, you must contact that studio directly to obtain performance permission.
  • Latest Advertising Guidelines! You can now advertise the movie title on your website, in newsletters and in emails!
  • A requirement of this agreement is for participating libraries to record and submit to VTLIB statistics regarding the use of this license for the period of June 1, 2015 - May 1, 2016. Please use the Library Use Statistics Form to provide this information when you submit your agreement. 
  • How to show a movie outside. You need to obtain another license. Read more here:
  • Programming ideas:

If the Movie License Guide does not answer your questions contact the Vermont Department of Libraries