There is no shortage of health information on the web but finding good, trustworthy information can be difficult. Since search engines like Google base their results on popularity, you cannot always be sure you are finding the information you need. Here you will find a list of health websites recommended by the Vermont State Library with the help of the National Library of Medicine. Everything you find here is freely available on the Internet. If you have further questions you may contact your local library or the Vermont State Library.
- General Health Information
- Nutrition and Fitness
- Drugs and Supplements Information
- Age-specific Information (kids, adults, seniors)
- Vermont Health Information
- Refugee Health Resources
- Specific Medical Conditions
Vermont Online Library - Gale Health and Wellness
- If your local library subscribes to the Vermont Online Library you will have access to the Health and Wellness database. The database contains both consumer appropiate information and access to medical journals.
- Developed by the National Library of Medicine, this is the go-to place for consumer health information. There are hundreds of articles on diseases, health conditions, and wellness issues. Other helpful areas of their website include:
- Video: Vermont-based information about Medline
Lab Tests Online
Learn about different types of medical tests, reasons why they might be ordered,
what is it like to have the tests, and normal values for those tests.
- Learn about different types of medical tests, reasons why they might be ordered,
- National Institutes of Health
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Health
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Harvard School for Public Health
- Physical Activity for Everyone
- Eating Healthy Vermont
- Get Moving Vermont
- Quit Smoking
- MedlinePlus: Drugs, Supplements, and Herbal Information
- Federal Drug Administration (FDA) for Consumers
- Pill Identification
- Information about prescription drug side effects.
- Drug information for nursing mothers.
- KidsHealth Information
- Teens and Young Adult
- Young Men's Health
- Girl's Health
- Young Women's Health
- National Institute on Aging
- Alcohol and Drug Abuse Programs
- Substance Abuse Treatment Programs
- Vermont Quit Program
- Low-cost or free health care coverage for kids.
- Vermont Health Connect (Vermont's Health Insurance Marketplace)
Practitioner to Practitioner
- Confidentially search for mental health professionals in Vermont
- Vermont Department of Health