The Vermont Golden Dome Book Award* (formerly the Dorothy Canfield Fisher Book Award) was created to honor excellence in children's literature. Each year since 1957, Vermont students in grades four through eight have selected their favorite book from a list of nominees. It is recommended that students read at least five of the year's nominated titles before voting. Voting takes place in the spring, generally beginning in April.
*This name was submitted by students at Dothan Brook School in White River Junction and was on the final ballot with several other submissions. Many Vermont students in grades 4-9 voted in Fall 2020 and this name received the most votes.
- 2021-2022 Nominee List with Annotations
- 2021-2022 Bookmark
- 2021-2022 Checklist Brochure
- 2021-2022 Punch Cards (created by Jill Abair, U-32 Middle/High School, East Montpelier)
- 2021-2022 Educator's Handbook
- Conference Materials:
- Order Vermont Golden Dome Book Award Labels
Books published in the current calendar year may be sent at any time during the year. However, sending books as soon as feasible makes it possible to give all books more careful consideration.
Publishers are invited to submit books that meet the following criteria:
- The book must have been published in the current calendar year. Reprints and compilations previously copyrighted are not eligible.
- The book must have been written by a living author who is a citizen or resident of the United States or Canada. Co-authors may be included.
- The book must be original or, if traditional in origin, the result of individual research. The retelling and reinterpretation must be the writer's own.
- All forms of writing are eligible for consideration – fiction, non-fiction, short stories, and poetry. Poetry, anthologies and short stories must be by a single author and not previously copyrighted.
- Books written by a previous recipient of Vermont Golden Dome Book Award may be considered at the discretion of the committee.
- Books should have children as their intended audience and be appropriate for children in grades four through eight.
Questions may be addressed to Committee Chair Rebecca Rupp.
The 2021-22 Vermont Golden Dome Book Award Committee is:
- Kate Belluche, Fletcher Free Library (Burlington)
- Katie Bosley, Pierson Library (Shelburne)
- Charlie Farrell, Grand Isle School
- Erin Neckers, Hyde Park Elementary School
- Rebecca Rupp (Swanton), Chair
- Sacha Krawczyk, Fletcher Memorial Library (Ludlow)
- Nicole Westbom, Kellogg-Hubbard Library (Montpelier)
- Laurie Williams, Newbury Elementary School