The Green Mountain Book Award (GMBA), initiated in 2005, is a reader's choice award for Vermont students in grades 9 - 12. The program is intended to encourage high schoolers to become enthusiastic and discriminating readers. It is recommended that students read at least three of the year's 15 nominated titles before voting in the spring.
- Master List
- Honor List
- Flowchart of Nominees
- 2016-2017 Bookmark
- Punch Card
- Discussion Sets
- Order GMBA Spine Labels
- List of Winners, 2006-2016
- Winners Bookmark, 2007-2016
- Winners Poster (11x17), 2007-2016
- All Past Nominees
Publisher Submission Guidelines
Books to be considered by the GMBA Committee can be submitted by publishers. Five copies of each title, which will be circulated to committee members, should be sent to:
Vermont Department of Libraries
109 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05609
Books published in the current calendar year may be sent at any time during the year. However, sending books as soon as feasible makes it possible to give all books more careful consideration.
The committee reviews books from June - December of each year. In order to be considered, books must be received by the end of the calendar year in which they were published.
Publishers are invited to submit books that meet the following criteria:
- The book must have been published in the current calendar year. Reprints and compilations previously copyrighted are not eligible.
- Sequels are rarely considered. Please do not send sequels unless we specifically request a title.
- The book must be original or, if traditional in origin, the result of individual research. The retelling and reinterpretation must be the writer's own.
- All forms of writing are eligible for consideration – fiction, non-fiction, short stories, graphic novels and poetry.
- Books written by a previous recipient of the GMBA Award may be considered at the discretion of the committee.
- Books should have teens as their intended audience and be appropriate for teens in grades nine through twelve.
Questions may be addressed to Library Development Assistant Jennifer Johnson.
The 2016-17 GMBA committee is:
- Lara Bessette, Georgia Public Library & Fairfax Community Library
- Jory Hearst, VICE CHAIR, Vermont Commons School
- Kaelan Heston, student, Sharon Academy High School
- Haley Karin, student, Spaulding High School
- Paige Martin, SECRETARY, Brooks Memorial Library
- Kari Meutsch, Phoenix Books
- Kelsey Psaute, Burnham Memorial Library
- Kara Rosenberg, CHAIR, Williamstown Middle/High School
- Laura Stevenson, Wilmington (retired)
- Mya Violette, Spaulding High School
- Sharon Colvin, Youth Services Consultant, Department of Libraries Liaison
- Stacy Holbrook, Middlebury High School (on leave)