As of July 1, 2018, SCOOP has been superseded by MHEC, the Massachusetts Higher Education Consortium purchasing program. MHEC provides similar discounts on products as SCOOP, but it also offers a wide variety of additional vendors. The discounts extend not only to any library in Vermont, but depending on the vendor may also to employees of those libraries.
- Read the quick start guide
- Find more information here
- Watch the webinar from May 2 about MHEC here
- List of vendors who offer discounts to staff
- MHEC has put together a list of PPE and cleaning related contracts - though of course that doesn't mean everything is in stock.
- Diverse Vendors - Through MHEC, you can find vendors who are minority, women, or veteran owned. The site lists the SDO (Supplier Diversity Office) certifications for every vendor. Once you login to the MHEC site, click the following links to find the full list and their certifications:
The MHEC is a purchasing consortium open to all New England public and private institutions of higher education, municipalities, schools, and educational organizations. MHEC uses its large member base and procurement expertise to negotiate cost-savings for its members.
- Find out if your town/public library or your school district/school library is a member. If someone else from your organization already submitted an application for membership, skip to step 4.
Public Librarians: If your public library (or city/town) is not already a member, submit an application for membership. (Time needed: Roughly 2 min.)
- Note that some libraries operate as a municipal department. If your library is a municipal department, the library is already a member if the town is a member of MHEC. If the town is not a member, the library can enroll independently. The municipality can join at a later date, if desired.
- School Librarians: If your school is not a member, check to see if the school district is a member. If not, consider contacting the district’s business office and encourage them to submit an application for membership. If they are not interested in doing so, then fill out an application for your own library. They can join at a later date, if desired.
- You will receive a welcome email when your application is reviewed and accepted by MHEC.
- Register for a website login. (Time needed: Roughly 1 min.) Multiple staff can register for MHEC website logins.
- Contact the vendors that you use to inform them that you are a MHEC member.
Though there are a wide-range of relevant contracts, librarians may be interested in L50 (Library Supplies, Archival Products & Services) and L51: Books & Media (Time needed: Roughly 2 min. to print)
- Sign into the site as a member.
Click on “Member Links -> Contracts”
- Scroll down the list to find links to L50 and L51.
Click on the contract number to load a full PDF of each.
- You will find all of the information you need (contact, shipping, discounts) for each vendor listed on the PDF.
If you have questions, you can email MHEC.