The Vermont Department of Libraries supports the mission of local public libraries to provide quality library programming for children, teens, and families. The Department sponsors an annual Summer Reading program available to all Vermont public libraries to foster summer reading for youth of all ages. The Summer Reading program encourages a love of reading, introduces children and teens to books and authors to expand leisure reading choices, and works to prevent the “summer slide” and loss of reading skills during the summer months when youth are out of school.
The Vermont Department of Libraries is a member of the Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP), a nation-wide organization that collaborates with libraries to create an inclusive literacy based program that is enjoyable for all ages, provide a reproducible program with a unified theme, share resources and offer professional support.
SUMMER READING 2024 - ADVENTURE BEGINS AT YOUR LIBRARY
Summer 2024 Resources
2024 Summer Programming Grants
$300 will be available to public libraries to hire paid performers and/or purchase materials to support programming. The grant application will open February 15, 2024. You can find more information on the Summer Programming Grants page.
Vermont 2024 CSLP Online Manual Access
The Department has purchased online access to the 2024 Collaborative Summer Library "Adventure Begins at Your Library" programming manual for all Vermont public libraries. This manual contains all the programming resources, graphics, and book lists for summer reading 2024.
To access the manual, you will need to visit the CSLP website at: www.cslpreads.org. Once there, hover over the Manual Downloads button located on the menu bar. From the drop down menu, select 2024 All Together Now. You will be prompted to enter your access code.To request the access code email Jonathan Clark. Please do not share this code, or post it in a publicly accessible location.
Ordering Free Summer CSLP Materials
The Vermont Department of Libraries is pleased to offer incentives and promotional materials each year to all Vermont public libraries from the CSLP to support the 2024 summer reading program. Ordering is now closed for 2024 materials.
CSLP’s Virtual Summer Symposium 2024 Adventure Begins at Your Library
CSLP held their annual Summer Symposium on Dec 7, 2023. This free, virtual conference for all library staff that support summer programming. You can view the recording of the symposium here once it is posted. The recording will be posted here when it is available and you can Sign up to receive a notice when recordings are posted.
Other Summer Reading Resources
- Vermont Library Association Recommended Performer/Speaker List and Submission Form
- VT Performer Database (no longer being updated)
- Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP) Website
- VT Authors/Illustrators Guide
- The USDA Forest Service's Smokey Bear Reading Challenge*
* The USDA Forest Service is excited to collaborate with public libraries across the country on the Smokey Bear Reading Challenge in celebration of Smokey Bear’s 80th Birthday. This program is designed to be a fun and easy way to engage children in reading about wildfire prevention, forests, and natural resource careers, while exploring their local environment. The challenge (and accompanying materials) will be available January - November of 2024. This initiative could be a perfect tie-in to the Adventure Begins at Your Library Summer Reading theme, connecting families to outdoor activities and state/national parks. Vermont public libraries have access to the digital toolkit and can sign up to receive physical incentives that will be shipped directly to libraries. If you sign up to receive incentives, you can skip #1 and complete the rest of the form. Please only submit one order per library. There is also a Smokey Bear Reading Challenge available on Vermont Beanstack.