The Department of Libraries supports the mission of local public libraries to provide quality library programming for children, teens, and families. The Department sponsors an annual Summer Reading program available to all Vermont public libraries to foster summer reading for youth of all ages. The Summer Reading program encourages a love of reading, introduces children and teens to books and authors to expand leisure reading choices, and works to prevent the “summer slide” and loss of reading skills during the summer months when youth are out of school.
As part of the Summer Reading program, the Department of Libraries encourages libraries to provide a variety of programs for children of all ages and families. The summer grant has been expanded to support a wide array of library programming. Libraries can choose to use funds to purchase materials that support summer programming in addition to the option of hiring paid performers for in-person and virtual programming.
We encourage libraries to collaborate and pool their grant money to plan programs and events that serve the greatest number of youths in the most effective manner.
- Grant Guidelines
- Grant Certification & Expenditure Report (to be completed by successful applicants following program)
- Webinar Materials
- February 16: Grant application opens & grant info session (see webinar materials above)
- March 14: Applications due
- May 2: Grant agreement due
- May 15-September 15: Grant spending period
- September 15: Deadline for spending funds/holding performances
- October 15: Grant certification and expenditure report due
Read more about the entire Summer Reading Program here!