Each year as part of the Summer Reading program, the Vermont Department of Libraries provides funding (through the Elva Smith Fund) to support libraries in providing a wide array of library programming for children, teens, and families. Libraries can use funds for in-person and virtual experiential programming or to purchase materials that support summer programming.
We encourage libraries to collaborate and pool their grant money to plan programs and events that serve the greatest number of youths in the most effective manner. We also encourage libraries to support the local economy and use locally-sourced materials, products, and food, as well using sustainable and eco-friendly options when possible. Using funds for local performers, artists/artisans, educators, authors, and museums/cultural institutions is highly encouraged. Recipients of the grants will be asked if and how they used funds to support the local economy in the summer grant reporting and expenditure report.
2023 Summer Programming Grant
*Preview of Grant Certification & Expenditure Report/Summer Reading Survey *Feel free to use this document to begin gathering information but your submissions must be done through the web form above.
Each successful applicant received a grant of $300 to be used to support a wide array of programming. 151 libraries received the 2023 Summer Programming Grant.
- Grant Guidelines
- Recording of Summer Programming Grant Information Session (2/23/23)
- Grant Certification & Expenditure Report (Web form link will open 8/31/23)
- Important Dates
- February 15, 2023: Application opens
- February 23, 2023: Summer Programming Grant Info Session (registration and Teams link can be found on the Continuing Education page)
- March 15, 2023: Grant application closes
- April 12, 2023: Grant agreement due
- May 15 - September 15, 2023: Grant spending period
- September 15, 2023: Deadline for spending funds and holding performances
- November 15, 2023: Grant certification and expenditure report due
**Please email email@example.com with questions.**
Read more about the Summer Reading Program here!