In 2015 the Vermont Department of Libraries (VTLIB) and the Green Mountain Library Consortium (GMLC) partnered on a pilot courier system for interlibrary loan among public libraries in Vermont. The pilot period began on January 25, 2016 and was a great success. More information about the history of the program is available on our Initiatives & Projects page. Based on the success of the pilot program, the Vermont Library Courier system is being continued. Beginning March 1, 2018 the administration of this program will be taken over by VTLIB. For more information about the courier program, please browse this page or see the FAQ page. If you have further questions, please contact April Shaw at email@example.com.
How the program works
In this program VTLIB contracts with Priority Express, a commercial courier service. When new libraries are enrolled, Priority Express works with them directly to decide upon the pickup location and schedule. The current pricing structure is:
- First weekly stop (includes one bin with a weight limit of 50 pounds): $21.29
- Additional weekly stops (for all items up to the weight limit of fifty pounds): $22.77
- Additional bins in one stop: $1.88 for each additional fifty pounds (no matter how many bins)
Future pricing for April 1, 2023-March 31, 2024 will be:
First stop with a bin of up to fifty pounds ingoing and outgoing: $22.66
Additional stops with the same weights: $24.14
Each additional fifty pounds (no matter how many bins it is divided amongst): $1.88 each
Libraries can sign up for up to five stops each week. The more frequent the delivery, the faster the service to patrons. Libraries will be emailed bills monthly from Priority Express. Bills must be paid within 30 days, or a late fee is charged by Priority Express. Prompt payment of invoices is also essential for uninterrupted service. Priority Express will work with libraries to schedule stops during the library’s open hours. Delivery will only be scheduled for weekdays.
To encourage participation VTLIB commits to providing the bins and bags for all libraries who are members of the courier system. VTLIB also offers a grant program to assist with the cost of the courier service. Please see the Courier Grant page for more information.
Information for libraries currently included in the courier system
Libraries participating in the program are required to report a small amount of data each month to VTLIB. The statistics required are described in your Courier System agreement form, and include items sent and received via courier, items sent and received via USPS, and amount spent on USPS shipping. To help with reporting, there is a handy in-house recording form to record these stats as they happen. Please report all data for a month within the first two weeks of the next month.
All libraries participating in the program are required to sign the Courier Service Agreement Form, which outlines the responsibilities of libraries, VTLIB, and Priority Express. Please click here to view and sign the Courier Service Agreement Form.
- In house reporting form to track items (Excel format) - To print all on one page, select “fit all columns on one page” under “scaling” in the print dialog.
- Statistics reporting form - All participating libraries must report their statistics every month
Courier Delivery Schedule and Labels:
- Current delivery schedule and participating libraries (PDF) Last Updated 1/19/2023- A link to one page of labels for each individual stop is included in this schedule.
- Delivery schedule and participating libraries (embedded PDF)
- Delivery schedule and participating libraries (Excel format - for easy copy/pasting of the Clover codes)
- Labels for current participants – one page of labels for each of the libraries (PDF)
Report an Issue
- Report an Issue form - Please use this form to report any issues with the courier, deliveries, etc. as they occur.
An orientation and refresher for the courier system was held on Friday, February 26, 2021. A recording of this webinar is available here. Please contact April Shaw (April.Shaw@vermont.gov) with any questions.
Information for libraries interested in joining the courier program
The interest form for joining in 2022 is now closed. The interest form will reopen in June, 2023. Please contact April Shaw (April.Shaw@vermont.gov) with any questions.
Deliveries are done by a third-party commercial courier service, Priority Express. Acceptance into the delivery service is contingent on Priority Express offering service to your library’s address, or at an agreed upon alternate location. New members to the delivery program will be enrolled in the courier service beginning October 1st.
If you wish to partner with a library already on the service, please contact them directly.
Several libraries have created partnerships with those already on the service to split the cost of stops, and to add their library if they have been unable to join the service. Feedback and tips for creating partnerships from those who have already done so is available in a document here.